Jump to Navigation

Is it possible to modify existing child support order?

Raising a child can be a difficult yet rewarding job for parents. Here in St. Louis, Missouri, parents know that children need all the support they can get from their parents in order to live a normal life. However, raising a child is a lot more difficult when the parents decide to separate or end their marriages. Child support issues are likely to arise. A non-custodial parent will be required to pay support while the custodial parent will use this financial support for the child's education, medical and other needs.

Readers may be surprised to know that child support can be modified; that is, either increased or decreased. A request to increase the existing child support is often requested by the custodial parent. This parent may seek to increase the amount of support if the payer of support has experienced a substantial increase of income. The parent may also request an increase in support if the amount is not enough to cover the child's expenses. On the other hand, parents who pay child support can seek to decrease the amount if they are dealing with unexpected life changes such as unemployment, divorce or a serious medical condition. Parents need to understand that they have to convince the judge of their need to modify the existing child support order.

Divorced parents may choose to speak with a knowledgeable legal professional to fully understand the child support laws implemented in their state. This will allow them to find the best possible solution for their unique circumstances.

Locally, parents who are facing child support issues may want to speak with a knowledgeable divorce attorney who also handles child support issues. This professional can prepare all the necessary financial documentation that can be used to help settle the issues.

Source: NJ.com, "Your legal corner: modification of a child support order," Victoria M. Dalton, June 22, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Joseph J. Porzenski
Email Us  (spam free)

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe to RSS Feed
FindLaw Network

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.