Jump to Navigation

August 2017 Archives

Consequences of failure to pay child support

Child support is an essential financial resource for the parent who has custody of the children. It allows that individual to provide for the children's day-to-day needs, medical expenses, educational obligations and other financial requirements. If a divorcing couple is unable to formally agree to the amount, the court will step in and issue a court order regarding child support payments, and then it is the legal obligation of one parent to complete these payments on time to the other payment. But what happens when the paying parent stops making those payments, for whatever reason?

What factors lead to a just property division in divorce?

Many couples in Missouri may think nothing of opening joint bank accounts after they get married, and depositing all money or paying all bills from that account. Where that ordinarily may be fine, if their marriage does not last, it could end up being a problem as the court would have to determine how to split the property between them. In Missouri, the courts assume that property acquired after the couple got married is marital property. This means that property can be divided in the event of a divorce.

Tips to help kids transition back home after summer visitations

Most courts, including those in Missouri, encourage joint physical custody after a couple divorces. This means that, barring exceptions, they prefer couples share physical custody of their children, with both parents spending significant amounts of time with the kids. This helps foster a loving relationship between each parent and child. However, for this to be successful, both parents must be living relatively close to one another, and this is not always the case. When parents live on opposite sides of the country, the court must come up with other custody and visitation orders.

Does an ex-husband have access to your trust fund?

Many wealthy St. Charles residents have a trust fund that was set up for them by a generous relative. These funds were generally created for the specific person and not for their spouses. But, in a complex divorce situation, can an ex-spouse lay claim to any of that trust fund?

Joseph J. Porzenski
Email Us  (spam free)

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe to RSS Feed
FindLaw Network

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.